GTKWave is a digital waveform viewer useful for examining the output of various digital simulators and an analysis tool used to perform debugging on Verilog or VHDL simulation models. With the exception of interactive VCD viewing, it is not intended to be run interactively with simulation, but instead relies on a post-mortem approach through the use of dumpfiles.
GTKWave as a collection of binaries is comprised of two interlocking tools: the gtkwave viewer application and rtlbrowse. In addition, a collection of helper applications are used to facilitate such tasks as file conversions and simulation data mining. The new release fixes some problems/bugs and adds new functions/features, e.g.;
- Made LZ4 the default compression routine selected for vcd2fst;
- Fixes to EVCD parsing in vcd2fst and evcd2vcd;
- Automatically invoke --optimize if VPD or WLF is detected;
- Standardized export feature to write vcd using lower case for non 0/1 values;
- Added perror() on errno-related exits in vcd loaders;
- Added experimental wlf2vcd in contrib (NOTE: It is not currently compiled or used);
- Corrected non-functional typos in documentation.