Maxima is a fairly complete computer algebra system written in Common Lisp with an emphasis on symbolic computation. It is based on DOE-MACSYMA and licensed under the GPL. Its abilities include symbolic integration, 3D plotting, and an ODE (Ordinary Differential Equations) solver.
It is full featured, doing symbolic manipulation of polynomials, matrices, rational functions, integration, Todd-coxeter, graphing, bigfloats and so on. It has, also, a symbolic debugger source level debugger for maxima code.
A new version (5.32.0) of Maxima has been released. Some changes are:
- Better implementation of max-exponent;
- Update of the Plotting section of the manual;
- New options added to save output in SVG, PNG or PDF formats;
- Fixes a bug in plot2d-discrete and implements a feature requested;
- Adds several new options for the plotting programs (e.g.: grid2d, label, samexy, samexyz, xyscale, yxratio etc);
- Fixes many bugs, e.g.: Bigfloat Gamma Inaccurate for Small Inputs, Correction for $matrix evaluation, elliptic_kc(3.0) not accurate, Numeric evaluation of inverse Jacobi elliptic functions is wrong for some inputs, Erroneous limit result, fix "limit(-(3*n^2 + 1)*(-1)^n/sqrt(n^5 + 8*n^3 + 8),n,inf)" etc.